Teaching and Administrative Work:
ME4042- Production and operations management, ME 4072- Industrial engineering, ME 4060- Industrial project management for BSc. Eng. final year students at University of Moratuwa; AYNYAF/3/CE/MR/AE/ME/02- Industrial engineering for 3rd year BSc. Defence studies students at General Sir John Kotalawala Defence University, Sri Lanka.
ME 5102- Production and operations management, ME 5122- Quality management, ME5121- Industrial management and ME 5146- Human factors engineering (ergonomics) for students of MEng/ PGdip in manufacturing systems engineering at University of Moratuwa. Industrial energy conservation and management and Research methodology for students of MEng/ PGdip in energy technology at University of Moratuwa.
Research Activities :
- Development of a framework using principles of ergonomics and predetermined motion time systems to help people with physical disabilities to work in industry
- Development of a methodology to design and manufacture suitable footwear for the primary schoolchildren in Sri Lanka
- Explore the feasibility of cryogenic cooling in the Sri Lankan manufacturing industry
- Development of an improved helmet for cricketers
- Development of a selective tea harvester to suit the Sri Lankan environmental and geographical conditions
- Design and construction of a bulk tea packaging mechanism
- Design and construction of a cement block manufacturing to avoid health and environmental impacts
Education and Training :
Cleaner production: Five day resident programme conducted by the National Cleaner Production Centre-NCPC (2011)
Microsoft project: Conducted by Prof. AKW Jayawardane (University of Moratuwa) at University of Moratuwa (2005)
Introduction to Solid Works: Conducted by Dr G Karunaratne (Texas A&M University) at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Moratuwa (2006)
Tender evaluation: Conducted by Eng. Jayantha de Mel (National Procurement Agency) at SLIDA (2005)
Advances in design- A systematic approach based on Axiomatic Design: Workshop conducted by Prof. Nam Pyo Suh (MIT) at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong (2002)
COSHH trained for the control of substances hazardous to health [UK] - 2007, 2008
Evaluator: Sri Lanka energy efficiency award organised by the Sri Lanka Sustainable Energy Authority. (2012 to date)
Health and safety consultant: Feasibility study on aviation fuel bridging project - Magampura harbour to Mattala airport. (May 2013 to December 2013)
Chairman of technical committee appointed by the ‘Ministry of State Resources and Enterprise Development’ to study on operational issues of the mill commissioned at Eppawala Phosphate Limited and provide recommendations for sustained functionality. (June / July 2013)
Member of programme development and evaluation committee for Sri Lanka Institute for Advanced Technological Education. (2012 to date)
Engineering study programme developer/Consultant: Newly established South Eastern University of Sri Lanka-Oluwil Campus. (2012/2013)
Chairman of organising committee for the ‘5th Japan-SAARC Energy symposium-JSES 2012’ held at Mount Lavinia Hotel, Colombo. (March 2012)
Development of instructional material for safe and efficient driving on highways for the Sri Lanka Police. (October and November 2011)
Honours and Awards :
Studentship to pursue Masters in Industrial Engineering in Engineering Management at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology 2002
Studentship to pursue PhD research in Design and Ergonomics at Loughborough University - 2006
Common Grounds Graduate Sstudentship Award to present research findings at International Conference in Design Principles and Practices, Berlin, Germany - 2009
- Abeykoon, K.M.W., Nanayakkara, L.D.J.F. and Punchihewa, H.K.G. (2013). International Journal of Engineering, Business and Enterprises Applications (IJEBEA). Vol. 4. No. 1. pp. 26-30.
- Punchihewa, H.K.G. and Manthilake, M.M.I.D. (2012). Our ailing universities. Annual, United Nations Association of Sri Lanka. pp. 12-17.
- Punchihewa, H.K.G. (2011). Highway to heaven. Annual, United Nations Association of Sri Lanka. pp. 12-17.
- Punchihewa, H.K.G. (2010). Potential of Quality Function Deployment (QFD) in reducing work-related musculoskeletal disorders (PhD thesis). Design and Ergonomics Research Group, Loughborough Design School. Loughborough University, United Kingdom.
- Punchihewa, H.K.G. and Gyi, D.E. (2009). Development of a QFD based approach to collaborative design to reduce work-related musculoskeletal disorders. Design Principles and Practices: An International Journal. Vol. 3. No.6. pp. 209-223.
- Punchihewa, H.K.G. and Gyi, D.E., (2009). Development of a QFD based approach to collaborative design to reduce work-related MSDs. 3rd International Conference on Design Principles and Practices 2009, UdK University, Berlin, Germany, 15-17 February, 2009.
- Muthunayaka, A., Kahangamage, U.P. and Punchihewa, H.K.G. (2008). CAD/CAM applications: A developmental strategy for potential SME footwear industries in Sri Lanka. 102nd Annual Sessions of IESL Young Members’ Section, IESL auditorium, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 24th October 2008.
- Muthunayaka, A., Kahangamage, U.P. and Punchihewa, H.K.G. (2008). The Application of CAD/CAM in the Sri Lankan SME footwear industry: A developmental strategy. Symposium of the Engineering Research Unit, Galle Face Hotel, Colombo, Sri Lanka, 15th October, 2008.
- Punchihewa, H.K.G. and Gyi, D.E. (2008). A collaborative design approach to preventing work-related musculoskeletal disorders. In: P.D. Bust, ed. Contemporary Ergonomics 2008, Nottingham, 1-3 April, 2008. London: Taylor and Francis, pp 411-416.
- Manthilake, M.M.I.D., Muthunayaka, A., Ranaweera, R.K.P.S. and Punchihewa, H.K.G. (2006). A study on the technological requirement of the footwear industry in Sri Lanka. Symposium of the Engineering Research Unit, Trans Asia Hotel, Sri Lanka, 16th November 2006.
- Allis, R.L.K.G., Kahandagamage, G.A., Lokuwithana, N.P.H. and Punchihewa H.K.G. (2006). Construction and testing of a machine to desalinate sea sand to be used as an aggregate in construction. Symposium of the Engineering Research Unit, Trans Asia Hotel, Sri Lanka, 16th November 2006.
- Hatharasinghe, H.D.A.L., Karavita, K.V.N.S, Punchihewa, H.K.G., Wijewardane, S.P. and De Silva, P.A. (2005). Construction and testing of an air conditioner condenser with capillary induced cooling. Proceedings of the ICME (2005), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 28-30th December 2005. ICME05-TH-27
- Fernando, W.M.T.P.J., Jayathilake, H.P.E.U., Mahindaratne, P.D.P.Y. and Punchihewa, H.K.G. (2005). An analysis of the current status of the footwear industry in Sri Lanka. Symposium of the Engineering Research Unit, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, 2005.
- Himan K.G. Punchihewa, (2005). Real standards required for the legality of bowling instead of triple standards. Annual, United Nations Association of Sri Lanka. pp 12-17.
- Ravindra S. Goonetilleke, Channa P. Witana and Himan K.G. Punchihewa, (2003). Utilizing advancements in data acquisition and control in the design of computer workstations. 7th Southeast Asian Ergonomics Society (SEAES) and 4th Malaysian Ergonomics Conference (SEAMEC), Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Kuching, Malaysia, 19-22 May 2003. pp. 40-44.