A hovercraft, as known by the world today, is a type of an air-cushion vehicle (ACV) with the capability of traveling on both land and on water. It had been in use for over half a century and gone through various modifications since then, to apply its unique features to modern day transportation needs.
We, a team of 2nd year engineering undergraduates of the University of Moratuwa, Department of Mechanical Engineering, would like to inaugurate this transportation technology to Sri Lanka by proposing a project to design and build a single passenger hovercraft.
The designing and adding modifications to the hovercraft will be carried out in such a way that it will best suit the transportation needs and topography of Sri Lanka.
The project will be conducted under the supervision of,
- Dr. Palitha Dasanayake (Head of Department – Mechanical Engineering)
- Dr. Nirosh Jayaweera (Senior lecturer)
- Mr. Sasiranga De Silva (Lecturer)
As engineering undergraduates of DOME UoM, Our goal is to conduct a study on Hovercraft technology and ultimately design and manufacture a cost effective working model, using the knowledge and skills of the finest undergraduate talent in the island and the facilities of our very own country.
- To design and build a hovercraft to be presented to the exhibitions.
- To analyze the potential capabilities of designing and building hovercrafts locally and to assess the advantages of such a conveyance to Sri Lanka.
- To identify potential research areas related to hovercraft technology and implement upon completion of the project.
- To introduce an energy-efficient way of travelling and search for other utilities of implementing this technology.
- To understand the applications of basic engineering principles learnt as a mechanical engineering student and to improve professional and teamwork skills.
- To get hands on experience with various manufacturing methods and engineering tools.
Why a Hovercraft?
The Hovercraft is internationally renowned for its ability to travel on diverse terrains. As a vehicle which can be effectively deployed on land, water, ice and marsh lands, the Hovercraft is a true masterpiece of engineering technology. They are now used throughout the world as specialized transports in disaster relief, coastguard, military and survey applications as well as for sport or passenger service.
Although it holds high potential to provide efficient solutions to many transport problems in the island, the concept of the Hovercraft is still new to Sri Lanka.
The design and development of the hovercraft will be carried out in such a way that it best adapts and addresses the applications unique to our country.
Mini ERU - Poster presentation